Creating Bear Aware Communities workshop
- Start Date: November 16, 2001
- End Date: November 17, 2001
- City: Revelstoke, BC
Summaries of presentations are available here as a 160 PDF download.
This workshop offered information on reducing bear/human conflicts in communities. One day of presentations covered the following topics:
- Overview of bear biology and why bears come into communities.
- Why bear–proofing of communities is important.
- Case studies of success stories – Canmore, Whistler, Revelstoke, and Parks Canada
- BC Provincial government’s Bear Smart Communities Program
- Practical solutions – landfill fencing and bear-proof containers.
- Working within the municipal structure to become Bear Aware
- A field trip around town on the morning of the second day showed what Revelstoke has done to become a leading “Bear Aware” community.
The Columbia Mountains Institute is grateful for the support of the following agencies that contributed financial or in-kind support for this event:
- City of Revelstoke
- Columbia Basin Trust, through the Columbia Kootenay Fisheries Renewal Partnership
- Haul-All Equipment
- Margo Supplies
- Parks Canada
- Revelstoke Printing Company
- Rollins Machinery