Ecological Restoration in Southeastern BC: Grasslands to Mountaintops conference
- Start Date: October 11, 2007
- End Date: October 13, 2007
- City: Cranbrook, BC
- Venue: Prestige Inn
Co-hosted by the CMI and the BC Chapter of the Society for Ecological Restoration
Click here for the Conference Summary (1.5 MB PDF file, 104 pages)
Southeastern British Columbia is a hotbed for ecological restoration. We listened as eighteen speakers and two evening speakers told us about new initiatives, restoration activities, and research in the region. Posters, displays, four field trips, and opportunities for informal networking add to the exchange of knowledge. Themes covered at this conference included:
- Restoration of grasslands and forests at different elevations
- Rehabilitation of mine spoils
- Restoration of wetland and aquatic features.
Time was allotted for the Annual General Meeting of SER-BC, and a review of their strategic plan. For more information about BC’s Society for Ecological Restoration (SER-BC), visit: http://chapter.ser.org/britishcolumbia/ .
The Columbia Mountains Institute and SER-BC acknowledge the financial and in-kind support of our conference partners and sponsors:
- BC Ministry of Environment
- Columbia Basin Trust
- Don Eastman (School of Environmental Studies, University of Victoria)
- Elk Valley Coal
- Keefer Ecological Services
- Polster Environmental Services Ltd.
- Rocky Mountain Trench Ecosystem Restoration Steering Committee
- Swell Environmental Consulting
- The Land Conservancy of British Columbia