Introduction to `R` software
- Start Date: June 12, 2023
- End Date: June 15, 2023
- Time: 9am - 12pm Pacific
- City: Online
- Venue: Zoom
- Instructor: Ayla Pearson
- Registration now open
An introduction to the programming language R. This course will provide tips and tricks to programming in R, installation of R packages and libraries, introduction to base R objects and data types, assign a value to a name, identify functions, for loops, and conditional statements, read in data from common file types (csv/xlsx), and perform mathematical operations and linear regression.
This course spans four half-days. Students are not expected to have any previous experience in R or any other programming languages.
- Learn fundamental concepts of the base R language
- Feel comfortable navigating and using RStudio
- Read in data from external files (excel)
- Perform various operations on your own data (mean, max, linear regression)
- Gain confidence when working with data frames of data
This course is paired with a proceeding Data Manipulation and Visualization course. Be sure to check this course out!
Ayla Pearson is a Computational Biologist at Poisson Consulting Ltd. who has a passion for the intersection between data and resource management policy. During her Master of Data Science, she was a Women in Data Science (WiDS) ambassador.
Preparation and what to bring
You’ll need a stable internet connection and your own working computer
- No prior programming experience required
- A free account with RStudio Cloud
- Computer with reliable internet connection, and equip with video camera and a speaker/mic adequate enough to clearly communicate via the Zoom video conferencing platform.
- Zoom. More info on system requirements for Zoom can be found here.
What is included with this course?
- Access to online materials
- R functions summary sheet
Limited class size of 12 people, register immediately to secure your spot.
*Memberships may be purchased and renewed while you register. More about membership here.
When registration fills you may request to be placed on the notification list should an extra seat open up in the course, and/or to be notified of the next time we offer this course. To join this list, please email Hailey: email@example.com