Offering a field trip
If you can offer a field trip on a topic related to the event, we’d like to hear from you!
Please send the following information in an email:
- Title of field trip
- Meeting spot: usually at the conference venue
- Map from meeting pointing to field trip location
- Time to meet, estimated return time (or total amount of time required for field trip)
- Name of field trip leader and affiliation
- Destination and description
- Number of people the field trip can accommodate
- Anything particular people need to bring (gumboots? binoculars?)
- Can the field trip “repeat” if it fills up?
- Field trip destinations are usually reached by car-pooling. Will this work?
Field trips are often offered on the second afternoon of a conference, or at the end of the day with one-day events. If arrangements are made in advance participants can be supplied with a bag lunch or snack if need be. Longer trips can be accommodated on the day before or after an event. Depending on your topic and the time of year, evenings are also an option.
You will need to provide copies of a map to the destination(s), for the use of the carpooling drivers. If there are handouts for participants be sure to coordinate printing of these handouts with the CMI ED well in advance of the event.
Send your information by email, as an attachment, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Title your email something like: “Field trip for Event X”. Within a couple of days you will receive an email thanking you for the offer. Please call if you don’t receive that email.