Introduction to “R” Software
- Start Date: October 22, 2019
- End Date: October 22, 2019
- Time: 12:30pm - 4:30pm
- City: Revelstoke, BC
- Venue: The Regent Hotel, 112 1 St E, Revelstoke, BC
- Instructor: Carl Schwarz
- Registration is Full - wait list available
New to R?
The purpose of this 1/2 day workshop is to give participants and introduction to R/RStudio so that you can take full advantage of the subsequent 3 day course: Stats Refresher for Biologists in “R” – see HERE for details. This course may also be taken on it’s own.
- R/Rstudio – mechanics of using
- Basic R syntax and concepts
- Basic input/output
- Basic data structures (Data frames)
- Basic ggplot (creating graphs)
- Basic model fitting (lm), getting output (method functions), plotting (ggplot)
Dr. Carl Schwarz, Department of Statistics and Actuarial Science, Simon Fraser University. Carl has taught many courses with CMI, and is back by popular request! Carl won the SSC Award for Impact of Applied and Collaborative Work 2017.
- Base R and Rstudio (available for Mac, Linux and Windows systems)
- Adobe Reader
- Microsoft Excel
- More detailed software requirements can be found here
Preparation for the course
- About 2 weeks before the course you will be sent a web link where you can download pre-reading, a course manual, a set of practice exercises to load on your computer before the class, and a reminder about where to get the course software.
- You will need to bring your own laptop pre-loaded with the required software and downloaded files.
- Consider bringing along an external monitor, an external keyboard and a mouse if you have a small laptop.
- You will need to make your own hotel booking, and remember to ask for the rates we’ve arranged for people attending this course (see below for suggestions).
Registration includes catering provided by La Baguette. Registration for the proceeding Stats Refresher in R Software course may be done at the same time as you register for this course (see link below).
CMI Member: $98.00
NOTE: You can purchase your $40 membership at the same time as you register. See more about membership here.
Registration now full. Email us to be placed on a wait list. email@example.com
Where to stay?
We have set up two room-blocks that you can take advantage of:
The Stoke Hotel has a special room rate of $89.99 + tax / night, includes continental breakfast, and new outdoor hot tub. You can book rooms at a discounted rate so long as there is availability so we recommend booking your accommodation as soon as possible. To receive this rate you must call the hotel directly at 1-877-837-5221 and state that you are with the “CMI group.” This hotel is located across on the west side of the highway but is still an easy walking distance to the college. Ask them to direct you to the river-side path that will take you under the highway bridge.
If you prefer to stay on-site and in the downtown core of Revelstoke, the Regent Hotel is offering a rate of $129.99 = tax / night, includes hot buffet breakfast. You can book rooms at a discounted rate so long as there is availability so we recommend booking your accommodation as soon as possible. To receive this rate you must call the hotel directly at 1-888-245-5523 and state that you are with the “CMI group.”
If you are wanting to camp, we recommend the Lamplighter Campground which would only be about 10-15 mins walk from the college. This campground is well-maintained and has all the amenities. 250-837-3385.