Introduction to “R” Software
- Start Date: November 02, 2021
- End Date: November 02, 2021
- Time: 12:30pm-4:30pm
- City: Revelstoke BC
- Venue: Okanagan College - Revelstoke campus, 1401 1 St W
- Instructor: Dr. Carl Schwarz
- Double-vaccination required to attend this in-person course
New to R?
The purpose of this 1/2 day workshop is to give participants an introduction to R/RStudio so that you can take full advantage of the subsequent 3-day course: Stats Refresher for Biologists in “R”. This course may also be taken on it’s own.
- R/Rstudio – mechanics of using
- Basic R syntax and concepts
- Basic input/output
- Basic data structures (Data frames)
- Basic ggplot (creating graphs)
- Basic model fitting (lm), getting output (method functions), plotting (ggplot)
Dr. Carl Schwarz, recently retired from the Department of Statistics and Actuarial Science, Simon Fraser University. Carl has taught many courses with CMI over the years and after a short break imposed by COVID19 he’ll teach with us again come fall 2021.
Carl has won many awards including the SSC Award for Impact of Applied and Collaborative Work.
- Base R and Rstudio (available for Mac, Linux and Windows systems)
- Adobe Reader
- Microsoft Excel
- More detailed software requirements can be found here
Preparation for the course
- About 2 weeks before the course you will be sent a web link where you can download pre-reading, a course manual, a set of practice exercises to load on your computer before the class, and a reminder about where to get the course software.
- You will need to bring your own laptop pre-loaded with the required software and downloaded files.
- Consider bringing along an external monitor, an external keyboard and a mouse if you have a small laptop.
- You will need to make your own hotel booking, and remember to ask for the rates we’ve arranged for people attending this course (see below for suggestions).
Registration includes catering provided by La Baguette. Registration for the proceeding Stats Refresher in R Software course may be done at the same time as you register for this course (see link below).
CMI Member: $98.00
NOTE: You can purchase your $40 membership at the same time as you register. See more about membership here. You can also register for the Statistics Refresher course that commences the following day via the same registration link.
Registration now full
Where to stay?
We have set up a discounted group rate at the Stoke Hotel of $109 + tax /night, or $119+tax /night for double queen room. Hot breakfast included, outdoor hot tub on site. When booking your room ask for the “CMI rate.”
CMI will be following the guidelines provided by the Province of BC’s Public Health Authority to keep us all safe during the COVID19 Pandemic. See here for current protocols – all students must review this document before the field component of this course.