Soils refresher course
- Start Date: May 31, 2012
- End Date: June 01, 2012
- City: Castlegar BC
- Venue: Selkirk College
- Instructor: Derek Marcoux
The Soils Refresher course was taught by Derek Marcoux of Selkirk College in Castlegar. It was fully subscribed with 18 people. The participants were biologists, foresters and other resource professionals interested in reviewing basic concepts of soils and soil management. Topics covered included:
- Review of basic mineral and rock characteristics that contribute to soil forming processes and classification of soils in Canada.
- Review of field estimation of soil textures, and classification of forest, grassland, and wetland soils.
Participants spent the first day mostly in the classroom and lab reviewing basic soils concepts and practicing field texturing. On the second day, participants went on an all-day field trip from Castlegar to Grand Forks to review the soil properties in forest, riparian, wetland, and grassland environments.
Day 1 – Classroom day at Selkirk College campus in Castlegar
- Review of basic geology and soil forming processes
- Field estimation of soil texturing and classification of soils
- Basic rock and mineral identification needed for soil forming processes and classification
Day 2 – Field trip from Castlegar to Grand Forks
- Participants reviewed key concepts of Brunisol, Podzol, Gleysol, Organic, and Chernozemic soil orders.
- Participants practiced coding for field notes.
An excellent resource for this course!
Valentine, K.W.G., Sprout, P.N., Baker, T.E., Lawkulich, L.M. (Eds.), 1978, The Soil Landscapes of British Columbia.
BC Ministry of Environment, Resource Analysis Branch. 197p.