Data Manipulation and Visualization
- Start Date: November 29, 2022
- End Date: December 02, 2022
- Time: 8:30am - 12:30pm, Pacific
- City: wherever you are, this is an online course
- Venue: Zoom
- Instructor: Ayla Pearson
- Registration now open!
Data manipulation and visualization will provide students with the tools they need to effectively tidy, transform and visualize their data in R. This course will teach the theory behind tidy data, setting up a reproducible data pipeline, introduction in the tidyverse suite of packages, importing data, tidying data, transforming data, dealing with missing data, summary statistics, exploratory data analysis, data visualizations and writing reports in R markdown. Focus on dplyr, tidyr and ggplot2 packages from the tidyverse.
This course spans four half-days. Students should have a basic working knowledge of R software to take this course.
This course is paired with a preceding Intro to R course. Be sure to check this course out if you need to brush up on your R skills!
- Tools to create a reproducible and well-organized workflow
- Introduction to the tidyverse (focus on dplyr, tidyr and ggplot2)
- Turn messy data in to tidy data
- Handle missing data
- Create plots with ggplot2 for discrete, continuous, and categorical variables
- Ask and answer question based on your data
- Create reports with R markdown
- Detailed course outline available upon request
Ayla Pearson is a Computational Biologist at Poisson Consulting Ltd. who has a passion for the intersection between data and resource management policy. During her Master of Data Science, she was a Women in Data Science (WiDS) ambassador.
Preparation and what to bring
You’ll need a stable internet connection and your own working computer
- R and RStudio installed on computer and the tidyverse library downloaded/installed
- A free account with RStudio Cloud
- Basic understanding of the fundaments of R and ability to use R.
- Pre-requisite: Intro to R course if needed
- Computer with reliable internet connection, and equip with video camera and a speaker/mic adequate enough to clearly communicate via the Zoom video conferencing platform.
- Zoom. More info on system requirements for Zoom can be found here.
What is included with this course?
- Access to the courses’ online materials
Limited class size of 12 people, register immediately to secure your spot.
*Memberships may be purchased and renewed while you register. More about membership here.
When registration fills you may request to be placed on the notification list should an extra seat open up in the course, and/or to be notified of the next time we offer this course. To join this list, please email Hailey: email@example.com