Introduction to `R` software
- Start Date: November 22, 2022
- End Date: November 25, 2022
- Time: 9am - 12pm Pacific
- City: wherever you are, this is an online course
- Venue: Zoom
- Instructor: Ayla Pearson
- Course is now full! Email [email protected] to be put on the waitlist.
An introduction to the programming language R. This course will include installation of R and RStudio, installation of R packages and libraries, introduction to base R objects and data types, the power of variables, exposure to functions, for loops and conditional statements, reading data from common file types (csv/xlsx), and how to do mathematical operations and linear regression.
This course spans four half-days. Students are not expected to have any previous experience in R or any other programming languages.
- Installing R and RStudio
- How to find R packages to expand your options
- Fundamentals of programming
- Fundamentals of the R language
- Reading in your own data
- Performing various operations on your data (mean, max, linear regression)
- A detailed course outline is available upon request
This course is paired with a proceeding Data Manipulation and Visualization course. Be sure to check this course out!
Ayla Pearson is a Computational Biologist at Poisson Consulting Ltd. who has a passion for the intersection between data and resource management policy. During her Master of Data Science, she was a Women in Data Science (WiDS) ambassador.
Preparation and what to bring
You’ll need a stable internet connection and your own working computer
- No prior programming experience required
- A free account with RStudio Cloud
- Computer with reliable internet connection, and equip with video camera and a speaker/mic adequate enough to clearly communicate via the Zoom video conferencing platform.
- Zoom. More info on system requirements for Zoom can be found here.
What is included with this course?
- Access to online materials
- R functions summary sheet
Limited class size of 12 people, register immediately to secure your spot.
*Memberships may be purchased and renewed while you register. More about membership here.
Course is now full!
When registration fills you may request to be placed on the notification list should an extra seat open up in the course, and/or to be notified of the next time we offer this course. To join this list, please email Hailey: email@example.com